1948 Sunbeam 489cc S7
Lot 578
1948 Sunbeam 489cc S7
Sold for £2,990 (US$ 5,025) inc. premium
Lot Details
1948 Sunbeam 489cc S7
Registration no. FDL 330
Frame no. S7/716
Engine no. S7/716
A wartime design by Erling Poppe, the Sunbeam inline twin was introduced by BSA, owners of Sunbeam Cycles Limited, in 1947. A luxury tourer, it was of advanced specification with overhead-camshaft engine, shaft drive and plunger rear suspension. The clutch housing and four-speed gearbox bolted directly to the back of the engine, which was rubber-mounted in the duplex loop frame, an innovation that required a flexible joint in the exhaust system ahead of the silencer. The first S7 version was equipped with balloon tyres, a feature not carried over to the deliberately more conventional, and also lighter and cheaper, S8 introduced in 1949. The front fork and 7” brake were now standard BSA components, and there were numerous other changes made in the interests of rationalisation. Never as popular as BSA’s more performance orientated models, the gentlemanly S7 and S8 remained in production until 1957. Barn stored since 1970, this S7 was fully restored over the past two years (restorer now deceased) and has not been run since its recent completion. The machine is offered with expired MoT (1970), old-style logbook, Swansea V5 document and MoT to March 2007. No reserve.

Saleroom notices

  • The engine number is 785
Activities