1922 Douglas 2 3/4,
Lot 553
1922 Douglas 2 3/4hp
Sold for £4,140 (US$ 6,954) inc. premium
Lot Details
1922 Douglas 2 3/4hp
Frame no. 54634
Engine no. 53191
The Bristol-based Douglas Foundry took up motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed twin, and the company would keep faith with this engine layout until it ceased motorcycle production in 1957. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the design’s virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, Douglas machines taking first, second and fourth places in the 1912 Junior TT in the Isle of Man. Douglas were quick realise the advantages of the countershaft gearbox, its three-speed entries gaining the Team Prize in the 1914 Six Days Trial, a conspicuous success which resulted in the firm obtaining a wartime contract for the supply of military machines. This superbly presented 350cc Douglas has the sidevalve engine of fixed-head type with outside flywheel and EIC magneto ignition, coupled to two-speed, clutch-less transmission - gearchanges are made using the valve lifter. The front fork is of the side-spring type with stirrup front brake, while rear wheel retardation is achieved by a v-block belt-rim brake. Finished in the company’s traditional silver and blue with black cycle parts, the unregistered machine is offered fresh from total restoration and comes with fresh MoT.
Activities