1921 Humber 4.5hp
Registration no. XH 9165
Frame no. 3974
A firm with its roots in the Victorian bicycle industry, Humber began experimenting with powered transport in the closing years of the 19th Century, introducing its first successful motorcycle - a built-under-license P&M - in 1902 and the first all-Humber design in 1908. A 500cc sidevalve, this new 3½hp model carried its engine in the conventional position and featured belt drive to a two-speed rear hub. V-twin and flat-twin models followed, Humbers first post-WWI offering being a 4½hp version of the latter. Markedly over-square with bore/stroke of 75x68mm for a capacity of 600cc, the 4½hp engine drove via a three-speed countershaft gearbox equipped with kick starter. All-chain drive was an advanced feature, and this heavyweight machine, renowned for its quietness and flexibility, became known as The Silent Humber. Touring and sports versions were available (both featuring quickly detachable wheels) and a range of suitable sidecars offered. One of only a tiny handful surviving, this Silent Humber was purchased by Humber Register historian, J Tarring, circa 1960 and is believed to have had only one owner prior to that date. The machine, the history of which is known from 1947, was acquired from Mr Tarring by the current owner around 1965, undergoing careful restoration approximately 20 years ago and receiving regular maintenance since then. Ridden an estimated 100-or-so miles in the past 20 years, it is reported as running well and offered with old-style logbook, sundry invoices, Swansea V5 document and valid Swiss Contrôle Technique (roadworthiness certificate).
- Please note that Import VAT at 5% on the Hammer Price and Buyer's Premium will apply to this lot.