1961 Royal Enfield 248cc Crusader
Registration no. 761 UXO
Introduced in 1956, the all-new Crusader 250 was unusual in having a unit-construction engine at a time when most British machines still employed a separate gearbox, and in placing the camshaft drive outboard of the primary chain on the engines left-hand side. The gears were housed in their own compartment at the rear of the streamlined crankcase casting, which also contained the engine oil tank in typical Enfield fashion. The cycle parts consisted of an open-type swinging-arm frame, telescopic front fork and 17 wheels at front and rear. Over the next decade a number of variations was produced on the Crusader theme, culminating in the Continental GT of 1964. Apparently restored (date unknown), this example was last ridden circa 8-9 months ago. The machine is offered with current road fund licence, MoT to November 2006 and Swansea V5 document.