Williams & Gibton Canterbury
Lot 149
A William IV rosewood Canterbury
Sold for £1,920 (US$ 3,227) inc. premium
Lot Details
A William IV rosewood Canterbury
by Williams and Gibton
with three divisions, the carved and pierced lyre shaped front and three further similar dividers above a frieze drawer on short lotus carved baluster legs, brass cappings and castors,, stamped 44444 WILLIAMS AND GIBTON, 60cm wide, 41cm deep, 60cm high.

Footnotes

  • The history of the firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton can be traced to the end of the 18th century when John Mack established a cabinet making business in Abbey Street, Dublin. Mack traded alone until joined by another cabinet maker, Robert Gibton, in 1800. This partnership flourished and by 1806 the firm were appointed 'Upholsters & Cabinet Makers to His Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutentant, and His Majesty's Board of Works.' After the death of Robert Gibton in 1812 he was succeeded by his son William Gibton and a former apprentice, Zachariah Williams. The firm continued to enjoy great success, undertaking commissions for major Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath, and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon. Following the death of John Mack in 1829 the firm continued to trade under the name of the surviving partners, Williams and Gibton. After the death of Gibton it traded under the name Williams & Sons, eventually ceasing business in 1852.
Activities
Similar items