A pair of red glass bottles with the capitol pictured on front and back
Lot 1003
A pair of ruby flashed glass decanters
Sold for US$ 2,390 inc. premium
Lot Details
A pair of ruby flashed glass decanters
Bohemian for the American market
second quarter 19th century

Of faceted conical form with knopped and fluted neck, each decorated with an architectural study beneath a leafy scrolled arch, titled THE NEW CAPITOL WASHINGTON on the obverse, one with THE PRESIDENT'S HOUSE WASHINGTON on the reverse, the other CITY HALL, NEW YORK.
height 10 3/4in (27.5cm)

Footnotes

  • The United States Capitol, based on a design by Dr. William Thorton and begun in 1793 with the laying of the first cornerstone by George Washington, was dramatically expanded in the 1850s. The timber framed dome from 1818, depicted on these decanters, was replaced by architect Thomas U. Walter with the much larger 'wedding cake' cast iron dome we are familiar with now.

    Originally called the President's House or the Presidential Mansion, the earliest evidence of the public calling the building pictured here the 'White House' was recorded in 1811 due to its white-painted stone exterior. It has been continually expanded and renovated, most significantly in the early 20th century.

    New York City Hall, designed by architects Joseph François Mangin and John McComb, Jr., was constructed between 1803 and 1812 between Broadway and Park Row in lower Manhattan. It is the oldest city hall in the nation, and has remained largely the same in external appearance for almost 200 years.
Activities
Similar items