c.1935 BSA Scout Roadster
Registration no. VN 7375
Chassis no. To be advised
A motor manufacturer from 1907, the Birmingham Small Arms Company acquired Daimler in 1910, soon abandoning its own range in favour of a Daimler design powered by a Knight sleeve-valve engine. When BSA resumed post-hostilities car production in 1921 it was with a quite different type of vehicle: a 10hp light car powered by a 1,075cc, v-twin engine made by Hotchkiss. The model sold well, only disappearing in 1925 when rivals Morris bought Hotchkiss, though BSA later acquired rights to the engine for use in its front-wheel-drive three-wheeler. A version of the latter appeared in 1933 powered by a 9hp, four-cylinder, sidevalve engine of 1,075cc which was also used in the four-wheeled, though still front-drive, T9 model introduced that same year. Restyled but retaining essentially the same engine and running gear, the Scout two-seater sports car debuted in 1935, though it was soon superseded by the outwardly similar but larger engined 10hp Series 3 version. Described by Autocar magazine as undoubtedly one of the best-looking small cars in existence, the Scout progressed through Series 4 and 5 but did not re-emerge after WW2, BSA having decided to concentrate on producing motorcycles only.
Bonhams was not in possession of any history relating to this Scout at time of going to press but it is hoped that some information will be available at time of sale. Offered without reserve.