1961 Triton 500cc Manx Grand Prix
Engine no. 95420
This superb Triton, consisting of a 1961 Norton Manx frame and Triumph Grand Prix motor (hence its Manx Grand Prix name) was featured in, and on the front cover of Classic Mechanics magazine, Spring 1985 issue. The then owner Les Lee recounted the story of how the machine came together as a collection of parts from various sources. When first constructed the ensembles main components consisted of the frame and engine already mentioned plus a Triumph close-ratio gearbox, Norton short Roadholder forks, Tickle alloy top yoke, BSA 190mm front brake with Dow Duetto tls conversion, Matchless G50 rear wheel, aluminium fuel tank and Ray Petty seat. The machine was built by John Gleed, at one time Eddie Dows service manager, who supplied the Triumph engine and gearbox. The former consists of a Manx Grand Prix alloy top end on a later (1957/58) and much stronger 650 bottom end with a one-piece, big-bearing crankshaft running shell big-ends. Other noteworthy features include a BTH racing magneto, Unity Equipe Converta engine plates, Triumph five-plate clutch and twin Amal Type 6 carburettors fed by a central GP float chamber. (It should be noted that in its current configuration the machine features a double-sided Grimeca front brake and BSA conical-hub rear wheel). Later on Les Lee recounted the story of the bikes first private practice session (at Snetterton) and subsequent parade sessions at CRMC meetings at Donington Park, Snetterton and Brands Hatch, which are believed to be the only occasions it has ventured out onto a race circuit. The Manx Grand Prix goes well, looks well, handles beautifully and has been photographed by hundreds of classic fans, remarked its proud owner. Its best point is that it does not look like a bitsa thanks to the skill of John Gleed.