1960 BSA 646cc A10
Lot 360
1960 BSA 646cc A10
Sold for £2,760 (US$ 4,639) inc. premium
Lot Details
1960 BSA 646cc A10
Registration no. VVY 498
Frame no. CA7 10070
Engine no. DA10 6551
Introduced late in 1949, the BSA A10 650cc twin closely followed the basic pattern established by the 500cc A7 while contriving to be almost entirely different in detail. The cycle parts remained virtually unchanged, though the larger twin’s 8” front brake was one obvious difference. Fitted at first only to export models, the 4.25-gallon fuel tank became available on the home market after one year, as did the striking metallic beige finish of the ‘Golden Flash’ version. By the end of the succeeding decade, BSA’s rugged 650cc twin had undergone considerable development. On the cycle parts front, the introduction of a swinging-arm frame in 1954 had resulted in the original bolt-up gearbox’s replacement by a conventional separate item, while the engine had benefited from numerous improvements including an increase in compression ratio for 1958 and the standardisation of the sports models’ high-lift camshaft for 1959. Restored by the current owner during 2004/05, this BSA A10 is offered with Swansea V5 registration document. It should be noted that replacement crankcases were use for the rebuild, thus the engine number no longer matches that recorded on the V5.
Activities