1954 Francis-Barnett 197cc Falcon
Registration no. YFF 930
Frame no. VM73434
Engine no. 617A 36148
Founded by Gordon Francis and Arthur Barnett in 1919, Francis-Barnett became part of Associated Motor Cycles in 1947 and was joined there in 1951 by James. The two marques model ranges became ever more similar until the transfer of Francis-Barnett production to the James factory in 1962 ushered in an era of unashamed badge engineering. After WW2 Francis-Barnett concentrated on the production of lightweight two-strokes powered firstly by Villiers engines, though from 1957 AMCs own power units were fitted to many models. This Falcon was in need of restoration when purchased by the vendor in 1997. The engine and gearbox were checked and found to be fine, while the rest of the machine was stripped and treated to a thorough refurbishment, keeping as close as possible to original specification. The wheels have been rebuilt with new rims and spokes, a stainless-steel exhaust system fitted, the electrics rewired and the cycle parts professionally repainted and lined. Completed in 2000 and taxed/MoTd annually since then, the machine is described as in very good/excellent condition and offered with current MoT/toad fund licence and Swansea V5C.