An architectural drawing of La Martiniere Lucknow, circa 1835
watercolour on paper, framed 382 x 521 mm.
Provenance: Rev. Canon Pearce-Higgins, Sotheby's 1969. Nicholas Vilag, 1970. Christie's, London, 17th June 1998, lot 160.
The Martiniere at Lucknow was first designed as a palace-tomb by the eccentric French military adventurer Major-General Claude Martin (1735-1800), who served under the Nawab Asaf ud-Daula from 1776. The building was completed in 1795, although wings were added in 1840, and it now houses a boys' school.
For further references see: M. Archer, Company School Drawings in the India Office Library, London 1972, pp. 155 and 196. M. Archer, Company Paintings, London 1992, nos. 89 and 90.