1929 Scott 596cc Flying Squirrel
Registration no. WX 1428
Frame no. 3016
Engine no. FY2575A
Bradford-born Alfred Angas Scotts experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the nineteenth century. The first complete Scott motorcycle followed in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design for its day. Light weight, ample power and sure-footed handling thanks to a low centre of gravity, were Scott virtues right from the outset. Like its major rivals, Scott was well aware of the publicity value of racing and the allure of models with a TT connection, so the adoption of an optional full-frame tank, like that of the works racers, for the new Flying Squirrel was not surprising. Launched at the Olympia Show in 1925, the Flyer came in 498cc and 596cc capacities, the latter being the most expensive machine in the range. Subsequent models further benefited from the racing programme, gaining the duplex frame and bigger brakes (first seen on the works bikes in 1926) and the magneto-platform Pilgrim oil pump adopted for the 1927 TT machines. This highly original vintage Flying Squirrel was acquired by John Logan Thompson in 1988. The machine is offered with old-style continuation logbook, Swansea V5 registration document and spare oil pump cover.
- This lot has a later detachable cylinder and head.
Auction terms and conditions