Rovers Clegg-designed 12hp car featured a four-cylinder, side-valve engine, conventional in all respects, displacing 2,298cc and driving through a three-speed gearbox to a worm-drive rear axle. Its simplicity was its success and its reliability legendary, the model seeing active use in staff car capacity during World War I. Today within Veteran Car Club circles the model is highly respected and known to be a reliable rally car, well capable of keeping up with the field in the longer distance touring events.
This car was first registered on 10th January 1913 to J W P Parry of the National Provincial Bank, Aberystwyth. Registration records confirm that in 1921 it belonged to Daniel Lewis Jones of Moelifor who left for his honeymoon in this car in 1922. It is thought that the car was laid up on Daniel Joness farm in the late 1920s, although an old style buff log book suggests that it was licenced, perhaps only briefly, early in 1936 while still in Joness ownership. The car was discovered in Wales in 1957 as a very sound and complete restoration project and was first seen by the present owner at that time. He was able to acquire the car in 1983 and careful restoration was completed in 2002. Mechanical work included fitting new pistons, replacement of the bronze clutch plate and a magneto overhaul. All white metal bearing surfaces were replaced, the engine line-bored and, for ease of operation, a starter motor fitted. The car is presented in grey livery with black wings, red coachlining and red wheels with red buttoned upholstery. New tyres have recently been fitted. It is equipped with CAV electric headlamps, Carleon brass side lamps and divers helmet rear lamps and the traditional singing 2nd gear. The brass radiator carries the traditional Vikings Head Rover mascot. The car is offered with old style buff log book, Swansea V5C document, current licence and MoT certificate to October 2005. It comes also with photographs taken in the 1950s, together with another showing Daniel Jones and his new wife leaving for their honeymoon in 1922.