The 'Lautaro' running before the wind signed 'T.Somerscales' and dated 1913 (lower right) oil on canvas 50.5 x 76cm. (19 7/8 x 29 7/8in.)
Provenance :- Bought by the vendor's father, R.F.M. Doublet, C.B.E. (1900-1982) in Chile, pre-1946 and thence by descent.
In 1916, Rex Doublet joined the London and River Plate Bank, later the Bank of London and South America, now part of Lloyds Bank International. His first posting was to Brazil and thereafter to Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile, finally becoming chief manager in Buenos Aires in 1948. During the difficult years of Peron's presidency he had the distinction of ensuring that his was the only foreign owned bank that continued to trade. In 1942 he was awarded the Chilean Order of Merit and in 1945 he was appointed C.B.E.
Lautaro, originally launched as the Sparkling Dew, was built in Listers yard at Sunderland in 1863. Rigged as a barque and registered at 336 tons, she measured 114 feet in length with a 26 foot beam and began her career trading out of Newport, her home port, to the West Indies, Mauritius and then California. By 1892, after several changes of name and ownership, she was owned by J. Jenkins & Co. who renamed her Lautaro and operated her, under the Chilean flag, out of Talcahuano. By 1913 she was in Peruvian registry, owned by L. Pancera, but disappears from record thereafter, possibly a casualty of war.