The Blue Funnel Line's steamer 'Indomeneus' at sea oil on canvas 45 x 59.7cm. (17 3/4 x 23 1/2in.)
Built for the Blue Funnel Line by Scotts of Greenock in 1899, Indomeneus was the first of a new class of nine ships to exceed 6,000grt. and intended for the companys main Far Eastern route. Registered at 6,764 tons gross (4,299 net), she measured 441½ feet in length with a 52½ foot beam and was engined by her builders. After many years of reliable service, she was torpedoed off the west coast of Scotland on 15th September 1917 but beached, successfully repaired and soon returned to service. Sold to Dutch owners in 1922, she was afterwards resold to Italian owners, renamed Aurania and survived until scrapped in 1933.