Recognising the need to widen the appeal of the already-successful DB2, Aston Martin responded with the DB2/4, introducing its new four-seater model in October 1953. Extensive revisions to the cars rear end arrangements made room for two occasional seats and more luggage, the latter being accessed via a hatchback rear door - one of this now-common features earliest applications. In addition, a raised roofline, one-piece windscreen, larger bumpers and other detail styling changes differentiated the newcomer from its predecessor. Otherwise, the DB2/4 remained much the same as the DB2, employing the latters rectangular-tube chassis, trailing arm independent front suspension and well-located live rear axle. The 2.6-litre six came in tuned (125bhp) Vantage specification as standard for the 2/4. Despite this, the re-designs inevitable weight gain was not fully compensated for until the arrival of the 3-litre, 140bhp engine in 1954. The cars top speed was now 118mph, with 60mph reached in around 11 seconds.
David Browns acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised MkII model being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. While mechanically very little different from its predecessor, the DB2/4 MkII was readily identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a 19mm increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom.
Two years after the introduction of the DB2/4 MkII came the DB MkIII - the 2/4 suffix being dropped - 551 of which, mainly saloons, were made between March 1957 and July 1959. Externally the most obvious change was the adoption of a DB3S-style grille, this re-styled nose giving the car a more imposing look, while the interior boasted a re-designed dashboard with instruments grouped in a cowled panel ahead of the driver. The engine benefited from an extensive re-design by Tadek Marek (newly arrived from Austin) and featured, among other improvements, a stiffer block, stronger crankshaft and a new cylinder head with bigger valves. 162bhp was available with the single-pipe exhaust system, 178bhp with the optional twin-pipe version. Elsewhere there were improvements to both clutch and gearbox, Laycock overdrive became available and front disc brakes were standard rather than optional after the first 100 cars had been built. Despite the inevitable weight increase the MkIII was faster than any of its predecessors, its top speed rising to 120mph.
Right-hand drive chassis number 1476 is one of just 84 drophead coupés constructed on the DB MkIII chassis. Previously the property of a Zurich collector, the car was restored to a high standard while in his care and purchased from him by the vendor in 1986, since when it has seen relatively little use. Finished in Air Force Blue with beige leather interior and matching hood, the car has the desirable twin-pipe exhaust system, Borrani wire wheels and km/h speedometer and is presented in very good condition in every respect, with 34,083 kilometres displayed on the odometer. Swiss registered, the car may be imported into the EU via Great Britain at the special 5% rate for historic cars.
Cet exemplaire conduite à droite chassis numéro 1476 est lun des 84 cabriolets construits sur le chassis du DB MkIII. Cette voiture, anciennement la propriété dun collectionneur de Zürich, a bénéficié dun restauration commandée par ses soins avant dêtre achetée par lactuel propriétaire en 1986 et depuis a trés peu roulé. Présentée ici dans sa livrée bleu Air Force avec lintérieur et la capote en cuir beige, cette voiture qui dispose du double échappement trés convoité, de roues à rayons Borrani et dun compteur gradué en kilomètres, est en trés bon état à tous points de vue. Le compteur affiche 34,083 kilomètres. Immatriculée en Suisse, la voiture pourra néanmoins être importée dans lUE via lAngleterre où elle bénéficiera dun tarif special de 5% pour les voitures historiques.