1914 Daimler 20hp Model TW 20 Bodmin Landaulette
Registration no. DN 568
Chassis no. 12386
Engine no. 18249
Favoured by the English Royal Family and nobility and the choice of Indian Maharajahs and Princes, the almost silent knight sleeve valve-engined Daimlers combined engineering excellence with coachwork befitting the elegance and splendour of the Edwardian era. This car features the fashionable open-drive landaulette coachwork, snug and comfortable for returning from the evening dinner party but, when opened up, allowing its owners to parade themselves proudly before the company at the grand social event.
This quite exceptional 20hp landaulette was first registered in York in February 1914 to a Wm. Henry Thackwray of Fir Royd, Acomb Road and is recorded in the City of York Register of Motor Cars as a landaulette-green. It is thought the car remained in York until the late 1950s when it was acquired by V.C.C. member, Arthur Bosomworth. He ran the car occasionally and sold it in the mid-60s to a Devon enthusiast to enable him to buy a veteran De Dion Bouton and the car later passed through the hands of V.C.C. stalwarts, Ted Woolley, Tony Simons and Edgar Richardson prior to acquisition by the present owner, a dedicated Daimler enthusiast, in 1995. The car was then in running order but weary and the body was found to have dry rot in the rear compartment. The engine used vast quantities of oil. It was decided that the car deserved a full restoration and this was entrusted to noted and highly experienced veteran restorer, Richard Peskett. No expense was spared with no single item left unattended to, the brief being to restore the car as closely as possible to original specification and prepared fully for the long distance motor tour. A replacement but identical engine was fitted, the gearbox rebuilt and the chassis overhauled in all areas. The coachwork was re-timbered where necessary although original parts, where saveable, were carefully conserved and used. In 2003 the engine was rebuilt, new sleeves fitted, crankshaft re-metalled, etc and a new radiator top tank manufactured and fitted.
The car is superbly liveried in green with black wings and red coachlining, the interior has been reupholstered in best quality green leather with delightful silk blinds to the rear quarters. The landaulette compartment is complete with two occasional seats with grey cloth upholstery. A speaking tube provides communication between rear passengers and the chauffeur while map pockets are a convenience for the touring motorist. A rear foot-warmer is provided along with grey carpets. The drivers compartment is provided with the luxury of side curtains for winter use and cocoa matting. The car is comprehensively equipped with correct CAV electric headlamps, side lamps and switch panel and distinctive Daimler, centre-mounted, bulb horn. Touring equipment includes a most practical, roof-mounted luggage grid, side-mounted spare wheel, tool box mounted on the nearside running board, jack and wheel brace and matching brass rear-view mirrors. The car carries a V.C.C. dating plate and badge and sports a radiator calormeter. It was fitted from new with an electric starter, still fully operational, and modern indicators have been fitted for safety purposes. The 3.3-litre engine and four-speed gearbox provide the car with excellent performance and hill-climbing abilities and during the present ownership the car has been widely used in local and long-distance rallies, notably winning the best car award at the Daimler Centenary Rally at Coventry in June 1996 and just this year completing a trouble-free, although testing, V.C.C. Presidents Tour through the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District, Scotland and returning through the Yorkshire Wolds, a distance of some 500 miles. This impressive and superbly restored British Edwardian comes with a Swansea V5 registration document, current licence and MoT certificate, V.C.C. Dating Certificate no.357 and a detailed file recording restoration.