Like many talented sons, the young George Brough became frustrated in his fathers motorcycle business and broke away in 1921 to set up his own business at Haydn Road, Nottingham, producing powerful, luxury motorcycles to his own design but using many bought-in components. The 6.5hp Mark II was a particularly early offering and was powered by the Swiss-built, V-twin, M.A.G. engine, featuring an inlet over exhaust valve arrangement and with cylinder dimensions of 72mm x 90mm. George Broughs contemporary catalogue related that the running of the engine is beautifully quiet and sweet in action. There are no valve gear noises and the exhaust note is a particularly pleasant hum. The brochure went on to claim 80mph fuel economy and 65mph performance and the Mark II sold for a round £100. In true Brough Superior tradition the model was heavily plated, the catalogue referring to the cylinder bottoms and all the machined external parts of the engine are heavily plated, and indeed the M.A.G. engine was a jewel to behold.
Scottish licencing records tell us that John W Bonsor of Ellabank, Hawick, in the Scottish Borders, first registered his new machine on 9th March 1922. Bonsors machine must have made a significant impression in and around the small Borders town, although remarkably one Archibald Borland of nearby Melrose had taken delivery of a similar machine just three days previously. Perhaps these were two beaus vying for the attention of the local girls. Bonsor kept his steed until about 1930 and its new owner, Alexander Patterson and presumably later his son, Arthur G Patterson of Banchory, continued to use it regularly until the war years when it fell into disuse. It was rescued for preservation in the 1960s, still in remarkably original condition, although forlorn, and later came into the present owners hands where it has been the subject of a most careful restoration. A detailed mechanical restoration took place in the 1990s, leaving no stone unturned, and the owner, a professional painter, attended to the cosmetics himself, achieving the highest standards.
The bike is presented with the factory option of the twin flowing exhaust pipes and painted saddle petrol tank, finished in silver and black with gold lining. Recent work has included the rewinding of the magneto and the major mechanical rebuild completed in 1993 is now comfortably bedded-in, having completed many miles in the Scottish Highlands. Although now running on an Amal carburettor for enhanced performance, the reconditioned AMAC carburettor, originally on the bike and overhauled at the time of the restoration, is also offered with the bike.
This machine is well-known within the Brough Club and Brough Superior circles and was written up in Old Bike in the Winter 1993/94 edition.
Such early Broughs are as rare as the proverbial hens teeth and this superbly presented example comes with a Swansea V5 registration document, old style log book, current licence and MoT certificate, copy of the original registration records and also the copy extract from Old Bike magazine.