no image
Lot 115
Pair to Major General James Clarke, Royal Marines,
Sold for £9,400 (US$ 15,783) inc. premium
Auction Details
Lot Details
Pair to Major General James Clarke, Royal Marines,


  • Major General James Clarke was born on 4 Aug 1788, he was the oldest son of the late Commander R.W.Clarke, Royal Navy.

    He joined the Navy in March 1798 aged ten aboard the sloop Pluto. After serving in her as a Volunteer and Midshipman, he joined the Romney in 1799, on the East India station, where he was successively lent to the hired armed transport Sea Nymphe, employed in conveying artillery and stores to Cosire in the Red Sea, and to the H.E.I.C.'s schooner Lady Popham. In the latter vessel, which was engaged in carrying despatches from Sir Home Popham at Mokha to General Hutchinson at Suez, where he was wrecked on a coral reef off Yembo. Twenty one of the crew drowned, whilst thirteen survived escaping in two boats and made their way to Jiddah. The Romney returned to England and was paid off in 1803.

    He entered the Royal Marines as Second Lieutenant on 19.9.1808, and in the early part of 1809 sailed with the trrops in the Dolphin for the West Indies, where joining the Neptune and Pompee (flagships of Sir A.Cochrane), he assisted at the capture of the French gunship D'Haupoult, and served on shore in co-operation with the army at the reduction of Gaudeloupe. After the latter event, which took place in February 1810, he returned to England with prisoners on board the Alcmene frigate. His next appointments from December 1810-October 1814, were on Gibraltar, Clarence and President, being employed on the coast of France, the North Sea and River Clyde. In July 1816 for about 3 months he was with Superb with Captain C.Ekins and was present at the bombardment of Algiers. From March- October he was with the Tees and Conqueror. Then he was with Rear Admiral Plampin on the St.Helena station, whence he returned in April 1819. In October 1821 he went to the Impregnablewhich was flagship of Sir Alex Cochrane at Plymouth; then on to Ariadne and Andromache at the Cape of Good Hope, he came home in September 1825.
    From 1.5.1830 for three years he was with the Caledonia in the Channel. At the end of February 1837 he was with the Malabar, off Lisbon.

    He was promoted to Lieutenant on 14.11.1823 and to Captain on 10 July 1837. In December 1837 he left the Caledonia. He was employed in the Calcutta in the Mediterranean and on the coast of Portugal from Sept 1840 until Nov 1842; and then onto Impregnable at Devonport from 2 Jan 1849 until advanced to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel 12 Nov 1851, the day after his promotion to the brevet rank of Major.

    He acquired the rank of Colonel on 20.11.1854 and was awarded that of Major General 20.2.1857.

    He married in 1817 and again in 1837, and had one son from the first marriage and one son and two daughters from the second.

    The book Naval Medals by K.Douglas-Morris mentions an MGS to him but with clasp Guadaloupe (p.156), as does British Battles and Medals, where there is also reference to a Naval Medal. There is no reference to the NGS medal in the roll by C.Message. There is however three NGS medals to recipients named James Clarke none of whom is an Officer.