London Jack 1 1894 - 1900,
display mounted spcecimen, wearing heavy brass collar engraved "London Jack No 2 W.Wickens, 63 Hartington Road Sth Lambeth" and collection box on leather mounting, engraved "Jack Collector for L.& S.W.Ry. Servants Orphanage London district" in glazed display case with oval plaque at the front lettered "London Jack The Orphanage Friend This Dog from 1894 to 1900 Collected for the L & SWR Servants Orphanage £250 and for other charitable objects about £200. All contributions deposited in this box will be gratefully received and placed to Jack's credit in the record of the above named charity, C3
59 x 48 x 18ins. (150 x 122 x 46cms.) Sir William McAlpine Collection, 10th September 1996, Bonhams, Lot 357. Research has indicated that there were at least four "London Jacks" between 1894 and 1921 who were all owned and trained by Mr & Mrs Walter Wickens, raising £5,747-5s-4d during this period. After the death of No. 1, he was preserved and mounted in this display case and displayed at Waterloo station where he continued to collect money for the orphanage. In 1915 he moved to Southampton where he stayed until 1966 when Sir William McAlpine gave him a new home. In 1996 he was purchased at auction by the owners of Potter's Museum and for the past seven years has continued to collect money for charity. See also "Faithful Friends of Working Homes" by H.T.Hunt.