The Temple of Flora, Stourhead, Wiltshire watercolour 40 x 54.5 cm. (15 3/4 x 21 1/2 in.)
Provenance: Guy Harvey-Samuel. Fine Art Society, April 1960. A private collection.
The above work is one of the series of watercolour views of Stourhead commisioned by Sir Richard Colt Hoare from Francis Nicholson and executed between 1811 and 1813. The painting depicts the Temple of Flora resting at the head of Stourhead's large lake. The temple (formally known as the Temple of Ceres) was designed by Henry Flitcroft. To the right of the work, the dome of the Pantheon can be seen emerging from the trees.