In 1959 the father of the present owner of this machine purchased a Triumph Trophy, registration no. NYA 136, from Furzehill Garage in Chard, Somerset, for £25, as seen, started and approved. This bike was used as regular transport into the late 1970s when it was put away for attention at a later date.
In 1995 the old favourite Trophy was pulled out and a restoration was embarked upon. During the course of that restoration various detailed modifications from standard were noted, including a reduced lower fork yolk, reinforced head stock, 21 inch front wheel, narrow foot brake pivots, narrow front stand/mudguard stay, no ears on fork shroud but bosses for competition number plates, and the engine internals revealed lipped roller main bearings, non-standard inlet manifold, lightened clutch, 10.5:1 compression pistons, large section connecting rods and bigger valves. These discoveries suggested that NYA 136 had a significant history.
Somerset Council records revealed that NYA 136 had been registered to A H Payne of Meare, Somerset. A telephone call to Mr Payne who was still alive revealed that he was at the time Jim Alves storeman and that NYA 136 had been a Works bike used by Bob Manns. Further research led to the Science Museum and records there confirmed that this machine had indeed been a Competition Department bike, first registered HUE 258 and originally licenced in January 1949 to the Triumph Engineering Co. Subsequent correspondence with Bob Manns confirmed that most of the modifications were developed while he used the bike and he in turn confirmed that the bike had subsequently been sold to Mr Payne. All pieces of the jigsaw were now in place and Bob Manns kindly provided various photographs of HUE 258 being campaigned in his hands.
Bob Manns confirmed that the engine fitted in the bike is the scrambler engine, tuned in the Triumph Experimental Shop, run by Tyrell-Smith and Ernie Nott, and prepared for the International Motor Cross at Brands Hatch in 1949. Manns was a member of the victorious English team and recalls that HUE 258 ran on 50/50 petrol benzole and the output was nearly 40bhp.
Discovery of all of this important information regarding the bikes history inspired a detailed and meticulous restoration, carried out in the owners spare bedroom.
With the wealth of evidence available the DVLA reissued the original registration number HUE 258 to this machine. A certificate from the Triumph Marque Specialist confirms the authenticity of this very first Triumph Trophy.
The bike is now fully restored and comes to the market from the family of its restorer. Condition in all departments is described as excellent and this historic Triumph is now offered for sale for the first time in 44 years. It comes with a Swansea V5 registration document, old style log book, a well researched history file and a Certificate of Authenticity from the Triumph Marque Specialist. Also offered with this important machine are copies of correspondence from Bob Manns together with copies of period photographs showing the machine in his hands.