1903 Mors Model N 18hp 4.6-litre Four-Cylinder Rear Entrance Tonneau
Registration no. AP 535
Chassis no. 18094
Engine no. 18094
Emile Mors was right at the cutting edge of motor car development at the turn of the century and, from his Parisian base, built motor cars that were at the forefront in the major motor sport events at the time, notably the great City-to-City races, which stole newspaper headlines and attracted massive crowds. His early models were technically innovative, featuring rear-mounted, V4 engines with dry sump lubrication and belt and pulley transmission. By 1898 rapid developments had been made, Mors cars by then featuring forward-mounted engines and chain final drive.
Mors vied with the likes of Panhard and Mercedes for the rich rewards that came from victory in the titanic struggles in those great City-to-City races. Such giants as Levegh, Gabriel and Fournier were to field Mors cars actively in such competitions and notable victories included the Bordeaux-Biarritz in 1899 (Levegh), Paris-Toulouse-Paris in July 1900 (Levegh), Paris-Bordeaux, 1901 (Fournier), Paris-Berlin, June 1901 (Fournier), and in 1903 Gabriel drove his mighty 70hp Mors to a convincing victory over the 342 mile drive in the Paris to Madrid race. This race was terminated at Bordeaux by the French Government following numerous fatalities, signalling the end of an era for those great inter-city races.
Mors products were indeed race-bred and this reflected in their quality engineering and reliability, rivalled only by such other notable manufacturers as Napier and Panhard.
The Model N Mors of 1903 was rated at 18hp, the engine being a four cylinder unit with all-mechanical valves and displacing 4.6 litres. Drive is transmitted through a leather cone clutch to a four forward speed gearbox with reverse and final drive was by double chains. In England the agents for Mors were The Roadway Autocar Co. of Edgware Road, London, who showed a range of Mors cars at The Crystal Palace Show in 1903. The company proudly boasted "These cars are the Kings of Speed on the Road, and the centre of attraction by their Elegance on the Stand".
AP 535 comes from a prominent UK collection of fine motor cars, all maintained to the highest standards and regularly campaigned in major events. It was acquired from France in 1989 from previous long-term ownership. Since then it has been a consistently successful participant in the London to Brighton Run, generally in the hands of the owners daughter who found the clutch particularly light, the gearbox simplicity itself and most of the hills littering the road to Brighton were climbed in top gear, given a clear run. The car has been campaigned in many other V.C.C. events, notably taking part in the Genevieve 50th Anniversary Rally in 2002. It is most attractively painted in cream livery and suitably coachlined, with red chassis detail and delightfully matured deep-buttoned red leather upholstery. It comfortably accommodates four people with ample space for the necessities of the motor tour. Running equipment includes a magnificent pair of brass, Ducellier, self-contained, acetylene headlamps with Ducellier oil side lamps and an O.S. kilometre combined speedometer and trip recorder. A self starter has been added as a most practical later addition.
This most imposing, powerful, flexible and fast Brighton car has been maintained in top mechanical condition and the engine benefits from a recent major overhaul, the vendor recommending that it should be carefully run in for at least 500 miles before gently extending its undoubted capabilities. This represents a rare opportunity to acquire a four-cylinder, four seater, Brighton car which is now offered with current road fund licence, MoT certificate to October 2003, Veteran Car Club Dating Certificate no. 1839 and a Swansea V5 registration document.